BEST WAYS TO REMOVE DOG TICKS
Ticks are very small insect-like organisms that attach themselves or get stuck to your dogâ€™s skin and have the potential to transmit and spread a lot of infections and diseases. Ticks are closely linked to the Spiders as they also belong to the arachnid family. Also, ticks not only can cause harm to your doggy but are known to spread a vast variety of diseases in humans too, therefore it is very important to get rid of these blood-sucking creatures as soon as possible to ensure the safety of your and your poochâ€™s health.
But before discussing the best ways to remove these ticks, why not we focus on their prevention as we all know and abide by the old saying, â€œPrevention is better than cureâ€. So, the best ways to avert the tick problem in dogs are as follows:
- Providing your dog with oral medications and vaccinations that can fend off the ticks.
- Ticks are very common in grasslands and heath Hence, they are most likely to be found in your garden. By trimming the grass and then spreading nematodes (tick eating organisms) in your yard can eliminate the risk of ticks to a very high degree.
- Always check for the presence of ticks in your dog and yourself after a long walk, and if found, eliminate them as quickly as possible.
- Ticks are also frequently seen in summer and monsoon seasons and, therefore keep an eye out for your dog during this period.
- Keep your dog away from street canines and wild animals as they mostly act as a source for the ticks.
- Pay close attention to any signs of itching and irritation in your dogs. If they start to scratch themselves more often and intensely, chances are they are carrying ticks. Hence, whenever the first signs of scratching are observed, you should immediately check your dog for ticks and if they are present, then they should be promptly removed.
- By using organic and natural tick prevention shampoos and lotions as they are free of any harmful chemicals.
Now we know the ways to prevent the spreading and proliferation of ticks in our dogs and our homes, but, these harmful beings can still find a way to prevail and therefore can cause various health-related issues in us and in our faithful companions. Hence, we must look for efficient ways to successfully remove them from our dogs.
- Remove the ticks by using plucking tools like tweezers and pincers. For this, place the tool around the tick and then gently pull it upwards without twisting or jerking the tick. Also, after removing the tick, clean the bitten area with Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol, soap, and
- Ticks are not very easy to find in your dogs. They are mostly hidden in places like around the ears and eyelids, between the toes, near the anal region and tail et cetera. Therefore, you should thoroughly check your dogs at least once or twice a week even if they are not spending that much time outside the house because if only a few ticks are present in your dogs, then they can rapidly increase in numbers and it will become very hard to remove them.
- The fluids inside a tick may contain harmful bacteria and pathogens, so it is very important not to remove the ticks with your hands as your fingers can easily squash a tick and that could lead to transmission of diseases by their bodily fluids. If you still want to remove them using your hands, you should use some kind of gloves or a tissue to cover your hands and then disinfect them after the process is completed.
- After all the ticks are removed from your doggy, always clean its bedding and resting place as ticks can easily fall off your dogâ€™s body at any place inside the house, but they are most commonly found in its bed and sheets.
- Just like there are tick prevention shampoos which are used to avoid any occurrence of ticks in your dogs, there are also tick repellent shampoos and powders that help in removing or repelling the existing ticks from your dogâ€™s skin. But it is important to use a shampoo that is natural and additive-free and is suitable for the doggy.
- There are a lot of home remedial methods that you can employ to repel the ticks away from your dogs. From oranges to garlic, there are various natural substances that you can use to remove the ticks. Commonly used substances which are easily present in your homes and are harmless to the pooch are as follows:
- Vegetable Oil
- Baking Soda used with apple cider vinegar
- Neem Oil
- Liquid dish soap (in small quantity)
- Clove Oil
- Aromatic Oils like lavender, basil et cetera.
It is the responsibility of the owners to keep their pets away from any kind of harmful organism which may cause discomfort and health-related problems in them. Hence, they must put extra effort and time in effectively eliminating them from their petâ€™s life. And, the task of successfully removing ticks from your dogs may seem very difficult and time-consuming, but it is very essential for you as well as your dog to get rid of these minuscule crawlers. And, now you know the essential tips and tricks not only to prevent them from flourishing but to eliminate them as well.